Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:05:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
Cc:        "'Mark Ovens'" <marko@freebsd.org>, "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Part #1 - Newbie Help Determining Lost Root After Upgrade Fro	m 4.0  to 4.1

> "Tomlinson, Drew" wrote:
>
> Thank you both for your help.  I am compiling a new kernel right
> now.
>
> I'm actually in California but I use a dynamic IP (dynip.com) DNS
> service that is located in Canada.  So would this be why I had an
> error using CVSup with the "cvs-crypto" tag?  I don't remember the
> exact error but it was something along the lines of it not being
> available.  When I commented out the "cvs-crypto" and uncommented
> the individual collections, I didn't get the unavailable error.

That message was caused by the fact they folded crypto in to src-all.
The cryto stuff should all be commented out or moved in front of the
ports-all tag=. section. I think commented out is the best choice
because it is already in src-all. I don't include the ports with my
system cvsup. I update the ports and docs manually because they are
based on tag=. and I don't mixed different worlds :). The fact that
you have your crypto stuff after the ports-all tag=. concerns me. I
have doubts on this but no notion what it did for you or to you. I
just don't do it that way because of my way of handling building my
world.

> So what problems am I likely to encounter once I get a good kernel?
> Also, you are correct, mergemaster didn't actually update anything
> as the default is to leave it for later.  I've read the man page but
> don't understand why/when I want to keep, replace, or merge.  I am
> completely new to Unix and am having a difficult time grasping
> concepts.

I am very carefull to always use a KERNEL=SOMETHING on my buildkernel.
The previous commands stick around in roots history file. I rarely
modify my kernel config file and so I always do the
build[install]kernel method in /usr/src/UPDATING. I find I can get
away without doing the intermediate singe user mode boot but you
shouldn't try it right now.

With mergemaster I follow the rule that anything I haven't modified I
use the new file (the "i" option). That is what the system is
expecting to use. You will have to update what seems like 100 files.
It will try to change your host* files. I look at those and do it
manually (the <cr> option). I have modified my dot.* files and I don't
let it change them back. It will try to change /root/.* files and I
don't let it do that either. My root aliases kept disappearing until
the light went on.

Sendmail is going to thrash around until you build a new aliases.db
using the "newaliases" command. That is discussed in the first screen
of text on /usr/src/UPDATING.

I can't think of anything else at this point. I have a buildworld
running now and something may come up in ~30 minutes or so. It is
running on a P-II 400 and uses a little over a wall clock hour to
complete.

Kent