Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:27:47 -0500
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Yuriy Tsibizov <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Asus A8V hangs during pci probe on fresh-CURRENT

--nextPart1524332.i42jRrJrhY

On Monday 30 October 2006 19:20, Doug Barton wrote:
> Nicolas Blais wrote:
> > Agree with you on that one. Though when my hardware fails, whether or n=
ot
> > it is due to overclocking or normal failure, I do not mind just replaci=
ng
> > the hardware. I run several machines, some of which are extremely
> > overclocked and most of them are running FreeBSD. A big part of my work
> > is experimenting stresses, in many ways.
>
> I actually hadn't intended that as a cautionary tale, what I meant was
> that you might be experiencing hardware problems even if you reduce
> the clock speed.
>
> Doug

No harm done :)

I saw that pci.c was updated today (to version 1.318) and I decided to give=
 it=20
a try. As expected, it did not work, so I kept my /usr/src in sync, but=20
reverted pci.c to 1.292.2.9 and my system booted fine!

By diff'ing with 1.315=20
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/pci.c.diff?f=3DH&r1=
=3Dtext&tr1=3D1.292.2.9&r2=3Dtext&tr2=3D1.315) =20
we can find there's obviously something in the vpd code that my system=20
doesn't like, or that the vpd code doesn't like something about my system ;=
).

Nicolas.

=2D-=20
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #8: Mon Oct 30 22:16:40 EST 2006    =20
root@clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A=20
PGP? : http://www.clkroot.net/security/nb_root.asc