Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:20:25 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>, 'Ryan Thompson' <ryan@sasknow.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> 1) Biometrics can't be used reliably for remote access.

There are zero-knowledge protocols for secure remote use of
biometric data.

> 2) I don't know of any currently available biometric authentication
>    device that can't be easily fooled.

Somewhat misleading -- any biometric method of identification
has false positives and false negatives.  For software engineers,
this seems unacceptable, since we're used to boolean values
for Truth.

It's very useful for two-factor (or n-factor) authentication --
I have no idea how extensive your familiarity with biometric
methods is, but several are quite promising.  Some of the better
ones (hand geometry) aren't suited to embedding in a laptop...