Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2013 10:57:07 +0100
From:      Mark R V Murray <mark@grondar.org>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What's the recipe?

--Apple-Mail=_FA3981F8-6D67-4245-ACAF-66E7F9FA3E0F

On 31 Aug 2013, at 18:37, George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> =
wrote:

> Have you built a working Raspberry Pi image recently?  If so, for the
> benefit of the rest of us, could you share a few secrets?

I'm  interested in this too! I got it right about a month ago (July =
2013),
but the exercise is hard to repeat.

> 1. What system did you do the build on?  If it was an i386 or amd64,
> what svn version was it built with?

AMD64, SVN from src, not ports.

> 2. What did you have in /etc/src.conf and /etc/make.conf, both for
> building the build system itself and for building the RPi?

/etc/make.conf had nothing that mattered, /etc/src.conf had a few
"WITHOUT_x", (with x in {CVS, CTM, LPR and a few others of little
consequence}). Importantly, things failed quickly if WITHOUT_GCC
was in /etc/src.conf; u-boot didn't build on a box that had no
legacy GCC.

> 3. What svn version of /usr/src did you use in building the RPi image?

CURRENT-of-the-day, and redoing "make xdev =85" seemed to help also.

> 4. Did you use crochet?  If so, what was the last commit in your git
> log?

Yes; can't remember what the latest commit was, but my usual practice
is to get this sort of thing to "latest" before I build.

> When I say "working," I'm hoping for the ability to run stably for a
> number of days, running NFS and CUPS.  I've been doing this since
> January with a precompiled image I downloaded then which worked
> wonderfully with one of my printers, but not the other one.  Now
> there's a patch that enables both printers to work, and I would love
> to build a new image.  So I've been thrashing around trying to find
> the answers to the questions above without success.  Thanks for any
> help you can give!                                         -- George

I got it doing lightweight duty like leaving "top -S" running; I didn't
have the time to do anything better, like I do now, and I'm battling;
u-boot won't build right now.

--=20
Mark R V Murray