Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:14:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@cray.com>
To:        Renato Ribeiro de Faria <rto@internetional.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: research about BSD

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Renato Ribeiro de Faria wrote:

>Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:37:51 -0300
>From: Renato Ribeiro de Faria <rto@internetional.com.br>
>To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: research about BSD
>
>Dear Masters,
>
> My name is Renato Ribeiro Faria, I am a student of the Computer science
>in a college located in Goiás-Brazil.
> The classroom was divided in groups for research about one opereting
>system.  My group and i chose the Unix BSD because we know that the unix
>is the best, the more consistent and fast S.O..
>So,  now  we are needing materials about architecture, process
>management, memory management and file management. We know  you are the
>Best regards to help us.
>We hope you cam help us sending as some material about this sobject.
>We apreciate your Attention.
>
>Cordially,

_The_ book you want on this subject is Mac McKussick's book about 4.4BSD.
Actually, Mac isn't the only author. Anyway,
http://cseng.aw.com/bookdetail.qry?ISBN=0-201-54979-4&ptype=0
points to a short description and you can order it online, it looks like.

There's that book, and also "The Magic Garden Explained" is a great book
about SysV internals, which is similar in some ways, very different in
others. You might want to get that book for contrast. Sometimes, when
trying to learn how something works, it's helpful to find out about
another implementation that is completely different.

Other than that, if you know C really well, reading through the code
in the BSD source tree would be a good thing to do. If you go to
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems, (i think), there are several unix
source trees to choose from, including 4.3BSD Reno or Tahoe, which are
slightly older than the code FreeBSD comes from.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Dunitz (orpheus@cray.com)              612-683-7266 | it's hard times
Information Services    <http://wwwis.cray.com/~orpheus>;    | befallen the
===== Cray Research, now Silicon Graphics = == === === =====| sole survivors.