Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:12:07 +0100
From:      morten@hotpost.dk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting MFS?

The cacophony of voices in my head
Inform me that z thompson said:

> Could someone shed some light on what the advantages are of mounting an
> MFS RAM disk on /tmp?  I was thumbing through the kernel chapter in "The
> Complete FreeBSD" where Lehey talks about mounting your swap partition as a MFS
> on /tmp.  Specifically he says that this will be "useful if you have a lot of
> swap space that you want to take advantage of[...]"  What I don't understand is
> how or why your swap space will be more useful mounted as a mfs as opposed to
> not?

It's faster than normal ufs, and you don't care if you loose all data in
a crash on that partition.

I have no numbers on FreeBSD, but a make build on OpenBSD (same as make
world on FreeBSD) is about 10% faster with /tmp as mfs and not ffs (ufs
in FreeBSD).

I use this line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/ad2s1b  /tmp   mfs  rw,async,nodev,nosuid,-s=108000    0 0

It seems make's in /usr/src needs to run executables out of /tmp, so
don't mount it noexec as I did first.

It's nice, I've experienced no drawbacks from it in neither Free nor
OpenBSD, but I've only run FreeBSD for about a week now ...

Hope that answered your question

           Morten