Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:13:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] SCSI 80 to 68 pin converters, do they work?

On 2002-10-10, Bill Moran scribbled:

# This is frustrating.  We can't tell from either the packaging, or from
# the product description, or anywhere else; whether these are supposed to
# work with LVD or not.
# I'm guessing that they're not, or they'd advertise it.

A lot of times, companies don't use a real standardized naming of the
stuff... some will refer it to SCSI-3 and some for LVD. I weed out
SCSI-3 and stick with ones that say LVD as well as speed ratings if
possible.

# Finding these is like buying electronics from the Amish.  The product
# descriptions don't really tell you, and the service people don't seem
# to know.
# Do you know specifically of any products that we can get that *will*
# work?

Check out Hypermicro.com as they carry quite a bit of converters, cables
and terminators for SCSI devices. The item in particular is SCA68LVD.

CablesToGo.com also have an 80-pin to 68-pin converter (Product No.:
27051) for a ripe $50.

CDW also has such an adapter by Belkin at:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=241235

You may want to give them a ring (it's a toll-free number) and ask them
specifically if it can support Ultra160 and higher.

HTH

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org