Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:29:50 -0700
From:      Janet Sullivan <ciscogeek@cox.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA corruption in DMA mode

Janet Sullivan wrote:

> Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> > Can you boot with a 4.6 kernel now and test it again to confirm the problem
> > really does go away ?

I went back to 4.6-Release (world & kernel), and that did not fix the
problem. I'm back on today's STABLE.

I broke the mirror and tested each drive separately on the HPT
controller in DMA mode - there were no problems.  I recreated the mirror
and the corruption of large files came back.  The problem only occurs
when the two drives are in a RAID1 array on the HPT controller and DMA
is enabled. I would think that if this was a hardware problem, one of
the two drives in the RAID1 array would have had some corruption
problems when it was taken out of the array and addressed as a single
drive.  Suggestions?