Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 06:06:07 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        faeton <fez@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation with Drive Overlay (EZ-DRIVE)?

faeton wrote:

> hi, recently i got rid of an old HDD and replaced it with a Maxtor 4.3G
> IDE one. After installing windows95 (<sigh>) without a hitch i went on
> to trya and install FreeBSD.
>
> After running into some problems intially with FreeBSD unable to find
> the primary DOS partition i discovered i had to remove the software
> translation (EZ-DRIVE supplied with the Maxtor) to be able to install of
> the DOS partition. After doing this installation goes on normally.
>
> It is when i leave installation and try and reboot FreeBSD i encounter
> futher problems. BootEasy won't boot DOS (i didnt expect it to without
> s/w translation), but FreeBSD won't boot either and just hangs. I
> checked the FAQ and it metnions tweaking the BIOS HDD settings but as
> both FreeBSD and BIOS return the following geometry:
>
> 8940 Cylinders 15 Heads 63 Sectors
>
> I don't think this will be the problem. I tried installing OSBS but it
> gives a Write Error (probably because of the s/w trnaslation) also to
> make things even more difficult FDISK hangs when i try and use it.
>
> If i try and boot FreeBSD with "wd(1,a)/kernel" at the boot: prompt i
> get the err msg:
>
> Error: D:0x81 C:0 H:0 S:0
>
> Scrolling continuously.. I only have one IDE drive on my system with
> FreeBSD being installed in the Second partition so i assume thats the
> right boot prompt..
>
> Has anyone been able to install FreeBSD on similar setups? Maxtors
> aren't exactly uncommon so someone must have some idea. Also if i DO get
> FreeBSD installed, how will i boot DOS? i think i'll just have to
> reinstall EZ-DRIVE and boot FreeBSD from a floppy all the time (not too
> bad..) Im trying to install 2.2.7R btw
>
> Regards,
> fae

Does your machine support Heads settings of 64 or 255? It really is the
BIOS that matters. Put that overlay *back* on and back-up windows.
Anything you do from here out will remove windows. Check to see if your
BIOS supports drives larger than 528 MB. IF not, you'll need the overlay
to run windows. Sadly, this is one of the few setup that is not freebsd
compliant. Unless you put the old HDD in with FreeBSD and BootEasy on
it, I don't think you are going to be able to run both. Sorry. I've
tried to get around these problems with a Packard Bell with a 1G primary
IDE and a 4.3G Maxtor secondary. PB's BIOS required the MaxDrive
overlay, and alas, couldn't run FreeBSD. But it installed so
beautifully... !
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>