Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:31:18 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        simokawa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fwohci init on 5.3-RELEASE blowing up

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On 2004-12-23T11:39:29-0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> On 2004-12-20T10:26:47-0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> > Good morning folks, I am having trouble here and hope that you can help.
> > I just got a new machine here, and it is giving me fits with FreeBSD
> > 5.3-RELEASE (amd64 ISO).  I am saying that this is a fwohci issue based
> > on the following thread on the dfly list:

> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=3D109967176800001&r=3D1&w=3D2

> > also noted in this thread:

> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-November/thread=
=2Ehtml#42637

> > My question:  Is there a way to disable firewire at the loader prompt so
> > that I can get FreeBSD installed and cvsup to a point where this is
> > fixed?  If not, perhaps my only choice is to find a amd64 snapshot since
> > I cannot disable firewire in the BIOS.

> > Other suggestions welcome, thanks.

> Anyone want to take a stab at this?  I would really like to get FreeBSD
> installed and running on this machine.  I cannot find a snapshot site
> that has updated snapshots post-5.3-RELEASE, and just can't get my head
> around building a custom release (though, I will keep trying).

> Here is the exact output (hand-transcribed) from booting a 5.3-RELEASE
> amd64 ISO:

> -----------------8<----------------------------------------
> [...]
> fwohci0: <Texas Instruments TSB43AB21/A/AI/A-EP> mem 0xd0000000-0xd0003ff=
f,0xd0008000-0xd00087ff irq 17 at device 6.0 on pci0
> fwohci0: Reserved 0x800 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xd0008000
> fwohci0: [MPSAFE]
> fwohci0: OHCI version 1.10 (ROM=3D1)
> NMI ISA b0, EISA ff
> RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

> Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
> instruction pointer	=3D 0x8:0xffffffff8024db66
> stack pointer		=3D 0x10:0xffffffff80c99950
> frame pointer		=3D 0x10:0xffffffff80e39000
> code segment		=3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			=3D DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
> processor eflags	=3D interrupt enabled, IOPL =3D 0
> current process		=3D 0 (swapper)
> trap number		=3D 19
> panic: non-maskable interrupt trap
> Uptime: 1s
> Shutting down ACPI
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
> -----------------8<----------------------------------------

> I get the same message (though with slightly different pointers) when
> booting the 5.3-RELEASE amd64 ISO with ACPI disabled, as well as with
> the FreeSBIE 1.1 i386 ISO with and without ACPI.

> I went to http://www.freebsd.org/releases/snapshots.html and from there
> to ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/ but couldn't
> find anything newer than late-October.

> I did just now download the latest snapshot of dragonflybsd, dated
> 2004-12-22 (dfly-20041222-stable.iso.gz), and it will boot up without
> panic on fwohci.

> Any help at all getting 64bit FreeBSD installed and running on this
> machine would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

OK, I have tried in vain now 6 times to build a custom release to get
FreeBSD installed on this laptop.  If I were a newbie to FreeBSD, I
would have long since thrown in the towel and stuck with LINUX.  But,
alas, I am not that person.  Unfortunately, I am no kernel/build hacker
either, which means that I get to spend 5+ hours on each build attempt,
only to fail again and again.  In the end, all I would like is an
installation CD that doesn't blow up when probing my firewire
controller.  Sounds simple, eh?

First try:
------------
I have one fast machine that I was going to try the cross-build on, just
for the sake of getting it done quickly.  Unfortunately, it is running
4.9, and the build of RELENG_5/amd64 blew up initially because of missing
proxy, authpf, and _pflogd groups and missing proxy & _pflogd users.
Once those were added, the build blew up again due to missing
/sbin/mdconfig, which doesn't exist on my 4.9 box.  Well, so much for
doing a quick cross-build on this machine.

Subsequent tries:
-------------------
This machine is a P2/400MHz running -CURRENT from about 2 weeks ago,
which means that it has the /sbin/mdconfig that was missing on the 4.9
machine.  Hooray!  Unfortunately, this machine is painfully slow at
building an entire release.  First build attempt failed trying to 'make
index' for ports, so I started again with 'NOPORTS=3DYES'.  This worked
for a little while longer, then failed again with the following error:

------8<-------------------------------
[...]
ln /R/stage/mfsfd/stand/etc/services /R/stage/mfsfd/etc/services
ln /R/stage/mfsfd/stand/etc/group /R/stage/mfsfd/etc/group
ln /R/stage/mfsfd/stand/etc/netconfig /R/stage/mfsfd/etc/netconfig
cp /R/stage/trees/base/COPYRIGHT /R/stage/mfsfd/stand/help/COPYRIGHT.hlp
test -f /usr/src/release/install.cfg  && cp /usr/src/release/install.cfg
/R/stage/mfsfd
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
sh -e /usr/src/release/scripts/doFS.sh bsdlabel amd64 /R/stage/mfsroot/mfsr=
oot /R/stage /mnt  4096 /R/stage/mfsfd 8192 auto
+ export BLOCKSIZE=3D512
+ DISKLABEL=3Dbsdlabel
+ shift
+ MACHINE=3D-m amd64
+ shift
+ FSIMG=3D/R/stage/mfsroot/mfsroot
+ shift
+ RD=3D/R/stage
+ shift
+ MNT=3D/mnt
+ shift
+ FSSIZE=3D4096
+ shift
+ FSPROTO=3D/R/stage/mfsfd
+ shift
+ FSINODE=3D8192
+ shift
+ FSLABEL=3Dauto
+ shift
+ [ 4096 -eq 0 -a auto =3D auto ]
+ rm -f /R/stage/mfsroot/mfsroot
+ dd of=3D/R/stage/mfsroot/mfsroot if=3D/dev/zero count=3D4096 bs=3D1k
+ uname -r
+ [ -f /R/stage/trees/base/boot/boot ]
+ BOOT=3D-B -b /R/stage/trees/base/boot/boot
+ dofs_md
+ [ x !=3D x ]
+ mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /R/stage/mfsroot/mfsroot
mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Inappropriate ioctl for device
+ MDDEVICE=3D
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/release.
+ umount /dev
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/release.
------8<-------------------------------

Guys, I am now to the point of begging for suggestions to get this
working.  I am not going to give up, ever, but I would like to get this
working before I retire.

Does the build machine have to be running the same release that you
are trying to build?  The man page and various results from googling
seem to indicate the answer is no.  If the answer is no, then wtf is my
problem?

Am I going way overboard here trying to build a custom release with
fwohci_pci.c patched?  I mean, the firewire is included in GENERIC,
which means that it is loaded with the kernel from the 5.3-RELEASE ISO,
and as such, I cannot unload it from the loader prompt (lsmod only shows
the kernel loaded, with a bunch of stuff after it, including
firewire.1).  Since it is built into the kernel, am I right that it
cannot be unloaded separate from the other stuff?

Oh, I have also submitted my first PR ever, which includes the patch
=66rom the dfly list, which (ironically) was submitted to that list by the
same guy who made the most recent commits to FreeBSD's fwohci_pci.c in
CVS.  Perhaps he will commit his patch to the FreeBSD tree, perhaps
someone will see the PR (kern/75482) and commit it.

I am actually really trying here guys, toss me a bone or two.

--=20
Michael W. Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--