Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:39:57 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com, hawkeyd@visi.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two FreeBSD slices on one HDD?

Let me know how it goes as I would like to remove and convert 20GB
partition set up the same way that has Win2K... I want to use it to install
4.5-stable on slice ad0s1, but leave 4.4-stable on the second slice, ad0s2.
Then evenually replace the ad0s2 with another mount point to be used with
4.5-stable. I'm concerned about doing this procedure without blowing it...

At 11:44 AM 12.21.2001 -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>My bad to reply to myself, but I did find some info.
>
>In article <20011221101718.A7266_sheol.localdomain@ns.sol.net>,
>	hawkeyd@visi.com writes:
>>
>> My HDD has two slices (aka, DOS primary partitions), ad0s2 being FreeBSD
>> 4.2, and ad0s1 being WinME. I'd like to blow away ad0s1, and install the
>> forth-coming FreeBSD 4.5 in that slice (DOS partition).
>>
>> Does FreeBSD have more than one slice (DOS partition) ID, such that I can
>> have two bootable primary partitions (DOS parlance), and bootEZ (whatever
>> it's called) will let my choose between them, as though FreeBSD were
>> sharing the HDD with some other OS?
>
>Only one BIOS partition ID.
>
>>From what I have read, go ahead with the install, and when in 'fdisk',
>remove ad0s1 (the WinME slice), and replace it with a FreeBSD slice,
>marking it bootable. The, in 'disklabel', proceed to set up partitions
>within the new ad0s1 slice as usual.
>
>BUT, will the rest of the install correctly put everything in the new
>ad0s1 slice, and not the existing ad0s2 slice?
>
>Then, will, bootEZ will see both FreeBSD partitions, and allow booting
>either? This I haven't found an answer to.
>
>> Furthermore, can either then mount the other slices' partitions?
>
>I cannot see why not, unless trying to write to ad0s1 from ad0s2 screws
>up due to ad0s1 having DIRPREFS and ad0s2 not? Anyone?
>

>Is it really this straight-forward, the "Just do it" Nike approach?
>
>> TIA,
>> Dave
>
>TIA again,
>Dave
>
>--
>
>Windows: "Where do you want to go today?"
>Linux: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
>FreeBSD: "Are you guys coming, or what?"

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American