Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:06:06 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel message: stray irq 7

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Grigory Kljuchnikov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've solved this problem. I've installed an additional isa
> multi adapter (with 2 COM ports, 1 Parallel, 1 floppy, 1 HDD)
> and disabled onboard COMs and Parallel ports on my box.
> The kernel message (stray irq 7) don't appear in the system
> and I have both RS232 (the modem and the mouse works fine).
> I suppose my onboard COMs and Parallel ports are dead.
> But it's very bad diagnostic message - "stray irq 7" - for
> this trouble that appeared even when I disabled onboard
> COMs and Parallel ports in BIOS, but didn't install multi
> adapter. I even removed all drivers for COMs and parallel
> ports from the kernel, but this message wasn't lost.
>
> I understand this is a hardware problem, but this message
> appear not only on my box. The friend of mine said my
> that he see same kernel message on his home box every day
> but it don't affect on his work and his COMs ports work fine.
>
> Does anyone have any comments?
>

> Best regards,
> Grigory Klyuchnikov
> Institute for System Programming Russian Academy of Sciences,
> 109004, Moscow, Russia, B.Kommunistitcheskay, 25,
>   phone(work):   +7-095-9125659
>   fax:           +7-095-9121524
>   e-mail:        <grn@ispras.ru>

The problem with the stray IRQs is that you do NOT have something
connected to the port and the hardware design allows the IRQ input to
float.  You might try to make a BIOS setting for the IRQs to be level
triggered rather than edge triggered.  This will reduce the sensitivity
of the IRQ input.  A more permanent option is to find out how the
kernel enables and masks interrupts, then fix the source code to mask
out the troublesome IRQs.  A probably more accessible solution is to
clamp the IRQ inputs either high with a 1k resistor or to clamp low by
grounding the IRQ line and then setting the BIOS to enable IRQ trigger
on edges only.

Dave