Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:12:51 +0000
From:      Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>
Subject:   Timekeeping in stable/9

Hi guys,

Has anyone else noticed the tendency for 9.0-R to be unable to
accurately keep time?  I've got a couple of machines that have been
upgraded from 8.2 that are struggling, in particular a Virtual box guest
that was fine on 8.2, but now that's its been upgraded to 9.0 counts at
anything from 2 to 20 seconds per 5 second sample, the result is similar
with HPET, ACPI-fast and TSC.

I also have physical boxes which new seem to drift quite substantially,
ntpd cannot keep up and as these boxes need to be able to report the
time relatively accurately, it is causing problems with log times and
such...

Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks,