Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 07:28:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net, Peter.Delaney@eng.sun.com, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net.hq.icb.chel.su, fnf@amigalib.com, bardhan@corp.megatest.com, hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: 4GB Seagate Barracuda (Hawk Replacement) goes nuts after a while

> I have noticed an interesting fact. Hard disks of some menufacturers when
> purchased in brand-name computers are much more stable than when
> purchased independently. Seagate is a good example. We have a couple
> of Seagate 1G Hawks in ICLs and they are working very stable.
> DEC uses Seagate Barracuda as their RZ-29 disks and they work stable too.
> But when we purchased two Hawks directly from a Seagate dealers we had
> lots of troubles with them. We had like problems with Micropolis.
> It looks like computer manufacturers do some additional testing and/or
> low-level formatting or HDD manufacturers divide their disks by
> cathegories using some tests.
>
> -SB

No, the issue is elsewhere.

Look to handling.  Many distributors and resellers abuse the drives when
stocking them or otherwise handling them in the course of retailing.

Shock will cause drives to fail -- and not always immediately.  Anything
which damages or nicks the media, even slightly, will eventually result in
drive failure.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | 10 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!