Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:09:04 -0500
From:      Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Eitan Adler <eadler@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port of ZFSOnLinux solution for illumos-gate issue #2663 to FreeBSD

--------------enigC5E529FD90024BFF04A2D9BD

On 11/14/2012 12:34 AM, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Useful stuff, you might be interested in the follow:-
>
> Teach ZFS about geom stripe size so zpools are created with optimum ash=
ift
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D173115
>
> I've got an updated patch which allows the min ashift to be configured.=

> It should be noted that the max working ashift appears to be 17
> due the way labels use zio_read_phys with offset.
>
>    Regards
>    Steve

Your patch modifies autodetection while this patch provides a manual
override. They should be able to co-exist.

With that said, the orignal patch permitted ashift=3D17, but that was
shown to permit pool corruption:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/425

As far as I know, ashift=3D13 is the highest value permitted on both Linu=
and FreeBSD. The code can operate with higher values, but I do not
recommend them.