Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:36:48 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci probes with multiple "units" (MORE)

> >Why don't you call your cards ethc0..X and then the devices eth0...X?
> >Something like the Arnet (ar(4)), SDL RISCom N2(pci) or Cronyx-Sigma
> >(cx(4)) drivers?
> We *could*, but its just a matter of symantics and there shouldnt be different
> methods for different cards when it could easily be done if a few folks
> get together on it. The separation of "controller" and "device" is getting
> a bit fogged because so many are making up their own standards.
> Its *easy* to do without the kludge you suggest...I call it a kludge because,
> unlike SCSI, there is no controller (as your nomenclature suggests) just
> multiple *devices* on a card. Since there is little or no distinction between
> 2 single port cards and a dual card, I would not only consider calling it
> a controller confusing but also explicitly wrong. To suggest that it be
> done that way because of a simple symantic problem in the pci probe
> code seems extreme.

Well it depends on how you look at it. The Arnet and SDL cards at least
do share the IO ports and MEM mapped area and the interrupt between the
different serial ports on the card. Also there is two serial ports in
the Hitachi chip and some of those io ports are common. :-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za