Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:53:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make install after cvsup

I just uograded a 3.0 box using cvsup to the 3.0 stable latest release.
After doing the necessary makes for that, i tried to recompile the kernel,
and ran into this.

make install
WARNING: You are about to install an ELF kernel for the first time!
Please be sure you have upgraded your bootblocks and/or /boot/loader so
that you can boot it.  Old bootblocks WILL NOT WORK!  Please read:
http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html for information.
If you are satisfied you can boot an ELF kernel, type:  make -DFORCE
install
Error code 1
Stop.

I did a make install with the above force option

 make -DFORCE install
chflags noschg /kernel
mv /kernel /kernel.old
PATH=${PATH}:/sbin:/usr/sbin;  if [ `sysctl -n kern.bootfile` = /kernel ]
; then  sysctl -w kern.bootfile=/kernel.old ;  if [ -f
/var/db/kvm_kernel.db ] ; then  mv -f /var/db/kvm_kernel.db
/var/db/kvm_kernel.old.db ;  fi  fi
kern.bootfile: /kernel -> /kernel.old
install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel -fschg kernel /

The box now wont boot.  What I am curious about is that the box started
out as a 3.0 release box, which I thought was already elf.

				Bri