Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:38:49 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strating the GUI

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 12:38:02PM -0600, John Sconiers wrote:

> Quick question that I don't think is technical enough for -qustions.  Have
> a desktop.  Is there a way to get an xwindows login prompt simular to
> solaris' or start windows automatically.  I know I can do a startx at the
> end of my .profile but I just wondered if there was another way.

There is no such thing as a question that's "not technical enough" for
freebsd-questions. We can help to sort out your question's wording
before you post there if you're worried about it, but if any of us
newbies want to try to answer we should move to freebsd-questions
first.

For your question you should be able to find the answer in the FreeBSD
FAQ. I guess you know that people will laugh at you (in any mailing
list) if you ask a question that's already answered in the FAQ, and I
guess you didn't recognise the answer when you read the FAQ because you
didn't know what word to look for. That makes it hard.

What you need is called "XDM". Skim down the FAQ questions and you'll
see one there about XDM, and it discusses the two ways of using it.
You can also type 'man xdm' for more information that you dreamed of.

If you have any problems or questions about this, you can write to
freebsd-questions now that you know what to call it :-)

If you have a serious problem with the way part of the FAQ (or
Handbook) is written, consider how you would reword it and send your
suggestion to the Documentation Project list freebsd-doc@freebsd.org.
The Doc team and future newbies will be grateful for your improvements.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-