Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:23:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        John Galbraith <john@ece1.ece.arizona.edu>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new GPIB driver revision available

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
 > >Does it have an NI TNT chip on it?  The "old" NI GPIB cards used the TI
 > >GPIB controller chip, and I don't think John's driver will work (well,
 > >if at all) with that.
 > >
 > >There's actually four different NI cards; the really old NEC-based
 > >ones, the TI based ones, the TI based ones with the GPIB accelerator
 > >chip and the TNT based cards.

I have developed the driver with two cards: one is a AT-GPIB/TNT and
the other is this really ancient AT-GPIB (1988) with a NEC7210
(actually from NEC, not a clone) and a TURBO488 chip.  I thought the
turbo chip was a National part, but maybe it is actually a TI.  I have
the card at home and will have to check tonight.  In any case, the
driver works with both cards.  I took care not to use any extended
features introduced by National that aren't supported by the older
card.  The really old ones, before they had the TURBO accelerator, are
not supported by my driver, and never will be unless somebody else
does it.

 > And what I'm trying to figure out is "If I tell my client to call the
 > Danish rep for Nat.Inst, what should he tell them that he wants to buy ?"
 >

> If you want to buy the "real thing" National Instruments card, that's
> the AT-GPIB/TNT.  Don't get the PnP one unless you want to add PnP
> support to John's driver.  I can't give you the URL off National
> Instruments' webpage, as it's a mile long.  Their online store price
> is US$495.oo

I have been sent PnP patches that have been incorporated into the
driver.  I haven't tested them myself, because I don't have a PnP
card.  Getting a PnP card to work wouldn't be hopeless, anyway.
Getting the PCI version to work would be hopeless.

I guess that I have to say this 8-): Be sure the driver works for
*you* before your recommend it to a client.  It works for me, but that
is all I can say...

John
--
John Galbraith              	  email: john@ece.arizona.edu
University of Arizona, 		  home phone: (520) 327-6074