Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 95 10:54:30 -0700
From:      deborah@gallifrey.microunity.com (Deborah Bennett)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   problem with 2.0.5 alpha using NFS install

I am attempting to install 2.0.5 alpha of FreeBSD using
installation over NFS. I'm having a repeatable problem with
the install hanging, and no debug output which tells me why.
I have sucessfully installed 2.0R from the Walnut Creek CD
on the exact same PC with the same configuration about
2 weeks ago.

Here's what I have done so far:
- made a boot.flp using dd to the floppy drive on this
  very PC while still running 2.0R
- booted from the boot floppy.
- Choose Proceed
- Choose Partition
- select sd0 (my only disk)
  (A comment here - the red "s" on this menu wrongly led
   me to believe that typing "s" would select this disk.
  I had to reboot and reread the "how to use menus"
  to learn to use the space bar for selections here.)
- Since I've been retrying this, my partition table
  is already set up. I have a 100 MB fat slice,
  and a 906MB freebsd partition.
- Escape from partition, choose label.
- set mount point for sd0s2a to "/",
  set mount point for sd0s2e to "/usr".
  Mount point for sd0s2b is already swap.
  (Another comment here. I noticed that if I did not
  toggle the newfs flag to read "Y", I got a warning message
  much later about a read-only root partition. I suggest
  that if a user exits from this label menu with root
  set to no-newfs, that the warning is printed here too.
  Otherwise you have no idea where you went wrong when you
  see the message later.)
- Choose distributions, select X-developer, select what
  I want.
- Select media menu.
- select Install over NFS
- enter the NFS spec of the server where I have FreeBSD copied
  to. In my case, it is:
  cronus:/s3/bsd/FreeBSD/2.0.5-ALPHA
- Network interface type menu comes up. My network interface is
  "de0", which shows up on the menu, but it worries me that the
  menu says <unknown device type>. I choose it anyway.
- The Network Configuration display comes up. I enter all the
  relevant information. For security reasons, I'm going to
  modify the relevant IP numbers, but put them in the same format:
Host Name: baz.microunity.com
Domain Name: microunity.com
Gateway: 191.211.193.16
Name Server: 191.211.193.32
IP Address: 191.211.193.80
Netmask: 0xffffff00
Extra options to ifconfig: none
  Exit this menu with OK.
- Choose "Install" from the main menu
- Choose Booteasy boot manager
- Confirm out of Last Chance
Here the install appears to go normally, I see a newfs of rsd0s2e.
A worrisome message appears on the alt-F2 screen:
Warning: calculated sectors per cylinder (3680) disagrees with disk label (2048)
but the newfs seems to proceed.

Eventually the Information Dialog hangs with this message:

On the alt-f2 screen, I see these messages:
DEBUG: Notify: Copying the boot floppy to /stand on root filesystem
1969 blocks
/mnt/etc
/mnt/etc/prototcols
/mnt/etc/services
/mnt/etc/sysconfig
129 blocks
DEBUG: Sticking a potentially helpful shell over on the 4th screen
add net default: gateway 191.216.192.16
gunzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
1655 blocks
DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file

I go over to the 4th screen with alt-F4, and notice these things:
mount returns this:
mfs_root on / (local)
/dev/sd0a on /mnt (local)
/mnt/dev/sd0s2e on /mnt/usr (local)
cronus:/s3/bsd/FreeBSD/2.0.5-ALPHA on /nfs

If I cd to /nfs and echo *, I see what I expect - the
list of directories from cronus - MIRROR.SITES, README, README.FIRST, etc.
If I cat /etc/fstab, it is empty. ls -l tells me it is zero length,
and its creation date is only a few minutes ago. Its permissions
are 644.

I realize this email is rather long, but my experience with installations
in the past has been that more information is generally better.

About my experience - I have only installed FreeBSD 2.0R once before
on this same PC. However, I have done numerous installations of
various versions of SunOS 3.2-5.3 when I worked there for 6 years.
And I am a systems/kernel programmer by trade.

I would appreciate any information you can provide about this
install problem. At this point I feel stuck until the WC CD comes
out with this version, since I know that install method works
on this PC. I am willing to perform any simple experiments that
you would like - the disk has been newfs'd now and is useless
until I reinstall the old FreeBSD 2.0R on it.

Thanks,
-deborah bennett

Deborah Gronke Bennett 	(WD5HJH) 	kernel and device drivers engineer
deborah@microunity.com			(408)-734-8100
MicroUnity Systems Eng., 255 Caspian Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1015 USA
 "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again" 							Ginger Rogers in "Swingtime"