Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:32:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Weijh <ebiss@nease.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling ports from the Internet

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Weijh wrote:

> Can I do this when I'm behind a proxy?
>
> when I use FTP,must log in proxy first.
> like this:
> ftp 192.168.0.1	 <----It's proxy
> user: ftp@ftp.freebsd.org

Try using passive mode FTP by setting the environment variable
'FTP_PASSIVE_MODE' to get around the firewall. If that doesn't
work, try setting the 'FTP_PROXY' environment variable to
'192.168.0.1' to have fetch talk to the proxy manually.  If both
those fail you'll have to fetch the distfiles manually.  See the fetch
manpage for details.