Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 12:36:37 +0200
From:      "Noor Dawod" <noor@comrax.com>
Subject:   Problems with multiple connections

Hi,

I hope this list can help me. Our company bought a brand new P-III
933Mhz 1GB server few months ago for our Web and Mail services. We run
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (Jan 17 2001). The Web server is Apache 1.3.19 with
PHP 4.0.4pl1.

Recently, and after hosting a heavily accessed Web site on it, the
server is showing signs of "tiredness" by not accepting new connections
to the Web server. At this time, I can see that the CPU usage (idle) is
more than 90%, and that's why I am almost convinced that it's a lack of
connection resources in the FreeBSD system that is causing the problem.
Apache is configured to run a maximum of 15 clients concurrently, and
each of them can handle up to 200 connections. That's a 3000 connections
limit.

I wanted to ask you whether it's possible to see how many active
connections (keep-alive included) are being used by the OS and is there
a way to know what's the maximum limit allowed in the system? I suspect
it's a system control variable, but I couldn't find it after checking
the list of I got from 'sysctl -a'

Thank you for your help,

Noor