Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:21:04 +1000
From:      "dougy" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dialin PPP

Thanks Brian

By "ppp(8)" do you mean kernel ppp ??

>> (1)    Are there are conflicts using user-ppp & kernel-ppp at same time
>
>No, although I'd tend to use ppp(8) for incoming ppp too - for the
>same reasons I'd use it for outgoing.

>> (3)    Is there an advantage in using mgetty instead of getty .... and if
so
>> is it             simply a matter of replacing references to getty or is
>> there other stuff that         needs to be done to use mgetty
>
>Mgetty actively does things to your tty whereas getty usually doesn't.

I haven't got mgetty installed at present because when I did it kept filling
my hard drive with countless messages, so I re-installed BSD without
selecting mgetty .... according to the docs I've read about setting up
dialin, this uses getty rather than mgetty, so the business about "actively
does things" mean anything immediately relevant to my present project
which is simply configuring the thing so I can login to my LAN and hopefully
the  internet by dialling in from another remote location ??