Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware Compatibility: Ultra DMA Hard Drives?

First of all, thanks to those who responded to my previous questions regarding
installing FreeBSD (make my own install CD?)  I decided to follow the advice
of the person who suggested that I could get the CD by buying the FreeBSD book.
It would be handy if that little tidbit was somewhere prominent on the website.
I know someone else who is interested in FreeBSD, but "can't get the CD."

On to the next problem: hard drives.  On the website, under the section on
hardware compatibility, there's a list of supported hard disk controllers.
The systems that I am looking at buying all have Ultra DMA hard drives, which
seems fairly common, but I don't see any mention of UMDA on the website.

I have been told, by a salesperson I don't trust, (who had a reason I don't
believe,) that UDMA won't be a problem.

So, what's the scoop on UDMA and FreeBSD?

Thanks again,
Mark