Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:58:20 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why wpa_supplicant doesn't start with ndis0 interface?

On 09/12/2012 18:59, Glen Barber wrote:
> What is 'uname -a'?

FreeBSD xxx.xxx.org 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Mon Jul  9
19:29:05 PDT 2012     xxx@xxx.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

> I'm surprised you can have ndis(4) load during boot.  Recent machines I
> tried to do that have panic'd during boot.

I have these lines in /boot/loader.conf and if_ndis and ndis(4) based
driver load fine:
ndis_load="YES"
if_ndis_load="YES"
bcmwl5_sys_load="YES"

> Can you try creating a crontab entry to load ndis(4) post-boot?
>
>      # start ndis(4) post-boot
>      @reboot root    /sbin/kldload /boot/kernel/if_ndis.ko >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Something similar to that worked for me to get the device to work close
> to boot time, without panic.  Once loaded, wpa_supplicant(8) worked
> fine.
>
> Please also see:
>
>      http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/165630
>
> which I would would be MFC'd already...

What you are suggesting is for the case when loading if_ndis causes
panic during boot.
In my case it loads fine during boot, but it's not clear why
'/etc/rc.d/netif' doesn't activate it.
network works fine once all commands are run manually.

Yuri