Date:      12 Jan 98 08:28:33 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ./profile, not $HOME/.profile

At 11 Jan 98 21:56:25 Leif Neland wrote regarding ./profile, not $HOME/.profile

 LN> if (login-shell == /bin/sh) then profile == $HOME/.profile
 LN> if (login-shell == /usr/local/bin/bash) then profile == /.profile

Oops. I goofed. To give ordinary users same path as root, I copied /.profile to
/etc/profile. But /.profile contained
$HOME=/ ; export HOME

So $HOME was also / for ordinary users (well, I'm the only user at all), and
this respected bash, while sh took the real home.

 LN> Why? It is not so it should work according to the manpages.

Well, perhaps it is :-)

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---