Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 13:04:13 -0400
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [rfc] remove hlt_cpus et al sysctls and related code

2011/5/18 Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>:
> On May 18, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0What would be nice too (even though it might not be possib=
le) is
>>> to make this more MI than it is today (i.e. sysctls that work for
>>> amd64, sparc64, etc), but that might be a pipe dream.
>>> Thanks!
>>> -Garrett
>>
>> That is actually the purpose. =C2=A0We should have a real online/offline
>> system for hotplugging CPUs, not only tied to x86 hyperthreading.
>> The htt specific parts are mostly hacks that don't take into account
>> all the necessary handover for it.
>>
>> Andryi, I'll look into the patch asap, but I'm in favor of this change f=
or sure.

> =C2=A0 =C2=A0We use this internally at work still with a software config =
that uses 4BSD so as long as there is an equivalent tunable, that's good en=
ough for us moving forward.

Tunables are pretty much acceptable for this case. What is really
broken is the on-the-fly ability to mark CPUs active/inactive and
subsequent handovers.

I thought Andriy attached a patch to the tree, but it doesn't seem
so... anyway, yes, I think that adding tunables for this is very
reasonable and not as dangerous as the current mechanism.

Attilio

--=20