Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 11:34:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, justin@apple.com, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Esry Don-FDE005 <Don_Esry-FDE005@email.mot.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Volume managers (was: Separate boot partition?)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Dom Mitchell wrote:

> On 8 April 1999, Greg Lehey proclaimed:
> > I can't see why not, since it's possible now.  What we still need to
> > do is find a way to extend a file system, but that's a ufs issue
> > (which has a solution), not a volume manager issue.
>
> What about shrinking an fs?  Is that feasible?  Possible?

Well, you can see how backlogged I am from dredging a month old thread up,
but....

Is there currently a mechanism for increasing the size of an ffs
filesytem?

Specific application:

I'm writing a video playback system.  Storing lots of big mpeg2 files on a
RAID system which will let me add a disk and add it to the array.  Now I
want to grow the fs so I don't end up with N little file systems instead
of one big one.

Thanks:)

--- David