Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:33:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk label recovery - request for suggestions.

In message <xzp672muw03.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: superblock (or one of its backup copies), you can determine the offset
: and size of the FS. It won't tell you anything about *other*
: partitions though.

It will give a fairly strong hint, however.  If you know what is taken
up by this partition, you can remove it from the pool of available
space and guess with a relatively high degree of accuracy that the