Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:42:24 +0100
From:      Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
To:        "bigMAX" <bigmax@newmail.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB: "ugen0: device problem"

At 19:53 19/07/2002 +1000, bigMAX wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been trying to get an alcatel speedtouch usb modem working and after
>spending all afternoon struggling with it I've concluded that I don't have
>USB working at all :(

several options here..  First,  I suggest you try the latest drivers, if
you haven't already, (see http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/)

The modem lights going off completely though sounds like it's the old
problem of the speedtouch drawing too much current from the usb ports -
they pull more than the recommended maximum, and some chipsets detect this
and shut the port down to prevent overload.  Try running the modem though a
powered usb hub, or try a plug in pci usb card of different make. (both
these worked for me.)  This is the same problem whatever OS and software
you use

If nothing there helps, you can try asking on the speedtouch mailing list -
subscription details on that same web page above.

Rob,