Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:09:21 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Booting an alternate kernel

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 09:35:35AM -0600, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> At 03:05 PM 11.23.2002 +0000, Jez Hancock wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have fbsd 4.7 installed on a hdd in a dev machine which I want to transfer
> >to and from another machine.  However the current machine is a K6-2 CPU
> and the target
> >machine is an AMD Athlon 1900+ - a generic kernel will not work
> >when I transfer the hdd between machines.
> >
> >I've just built a new kernel that will work in the Athlon and the kernel
> >that works ok in the K6 machine is now called /kernel.old.
> >
> >How can I make sure I don't accidentally overwrite /kernel.old (ie when
> >I rebuild the kernel again)?  Ideally I'd like to rename kernel.old to
> >something like kernel.k6, but would I have to rename the /modules.old
> >dir too?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Jez
> >

> You can just copy the kernel to kernel.k6. You don't need to delete the
> kernel.old.....
Cheers Jack.

The main thing I was unsure of was what files a kernel rebuild puts in
/modules - ie if I had to rename /modules.old as well as just /kernel.old
- but I've had a chance to check it out now and it seems the size of
/modules  and /modules.old is identical (as long as the release point
is the same of course).

All ticking over verrrrrrrry fast - this athlon 1900+ is a far cry
from the p166 !

On to building X on freebsd for first time - joy ;)

Thanks again,
Jez