Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 20:11:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@lucy.bedford.net>
To:        natalia@stn-atlas.com.au (Natalia Salzberg)
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal PnP Modem under FreeBSD 2.2.6

Natalia Salzberg wrote
> CyberPeasant wrote:
> >
> > Natalia Salzberg wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > I have a Pentuim II 266MHz running FreeBSD 2.2.6 on one partition and
> > > Win95 on another with an internal pnp modem (CommWave 336) on a isa slot

Hmm.  And I bet it runs just fine under windoze with that special driver
that came with it.

Sounds like it's a [shudder] winmodem. Better known as a lose-modem.

>From the mfgr's web page;

  [INLINE] Low Power Consumption Due to Green Power Management and No
   Redundant High Speed Chipsets.
   [INLINE] With no redundant high speed chipsets such as Data Pump (or
   DSP), UART, SRAM and ROM found in most high speed data/fax modem
   board, and Green power management, power consumption is significantly
   reduced.

That " no redundant high speed chipsets such as Data Pump (or
DSP), UART, SRAM and ROM "  is what a winmodem is, I believe.
Those chips are "redundant" because a winmodem uses your CPU to do
/all the work/ (real modems don't need software drivers). This doesn't
work well in multi-tasking OSes.  Winmodems aren't supported by
OSes except W95 and NT.

This is the first time i've seen a mfgr brag about the lack of any
on-board capabilities as a swell design innovation. I can think of
a way to reduce its power consumption to /exactly zero/ :) Winmodems
were thought up by M$ as a field trial of a larger scheme to close
off all hardware specifications and device driver interfaces, so
as to strangle open source operating systems. I'm afraid you've
been bitten.

Maybe I'm wrong. The webpage didn't say 'winmodem' explicitly, but
it said what I've quoted, and had "special device drivers" for W95
to download. Bad signs.

Dave
--
               --== Things that suck: winmodems  ==--