Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:17:25 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        "Melody Akins" <unixpower@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another Beginner Squeaks Up

Hi there,

At 02:10 15.6. 2001, Melody Akins wrote the following:
>Hello!
>
>I'm obviously interested in UNIX or I wouldn't have subscribed to this list.  Having said that, it appears I am in 'over my head!'  You folks have forgotten more than I will ever know, I think.
>
>Question:  Having only a very rudimentary (One unfinished COBOL programming class in 1979)knowledge of programming, and only a bit less knowledge of operating systems, I'd like to know where to begin.  I think

you don't have to be a programmer to be able to use FreeBSD, the
days when you could run only what you wrote are long gone.

>starting with UNIX might be a mistake...?

getting rid of bad habits is much harder than practising the
right one from the start :)

>My sons are both technicians/sysadmins, but because I'm 'mom,' they don't think I'm serious about learning.
>
>I'd like to learn UNIX because I want to work on back-end internet /intranet support and this knowledge is necessary.  Any help will be much appreciated.

The ideal scenario (for me, anyway :) would be along these lines:
1) get a spare machine (something like P133 would be perfect),
and put it next to your windows box
2) get a copy of the 4.3-RELEASE cd (you can download it from
ftp.freebsd.org and burn it on a CD-R, or get one of your sons do it
for you)
3) read the beginners-aimed stuf at www.freebsd.org
(http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/43/index.html is wonderful)
4) put the install cd in and boot off it

this (having a dedicated computer) has two major advantages:
a) you don't get the smallest chance to wipe your windows system
(sh*t happens :)
b) anytime you get stuck, you have the internet at your reach without
having to reboot... easy to write any error messages right from the
screen into an email... :)

final note: you made a very lucky choice with FreeBSD. It's a mature,
friendly OS, and, when compared to Linux, which is IMO an incarnation
of chaos, very tidy one. (not to mention this great list)

------end of quote------

cynic@mail.cz