Date:      21 Jan 2001 19:59:39 +0100
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI128 and RELENG_4

I have updated my source and built a kernel Jan 17. Tried to record
audio with my SoundBlaster 128 PCI (ES1370) but only record noice.
It is not a cable problem, I can hear the sound in the speakers
(is this normal that the incoming sound is passed to the speaker?).
I can play sound files.

I didn't try recordning much when running FreeBSD 3.4 but I think
it was working.

  % dmesg | egrep 'STABLE|pcm'
  FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Wed Jan 17 22:36:46 CET 2001
  pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> port 0xd800-0xd83f irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci0
  (the IRQ is not shared according to dmesg)

  % cat /dev/sndstat
  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan 17 2001 22:35:59
  Installed devices:
  pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> at io 0xd800 irq 9 (1p/1r channels duplex)

  % grep pcm /sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL
  device          pcm                     # PnP/PCI sound cards

  % mixer
  Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
  Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
  Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
  Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
  Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
  Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
  Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
  Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
  Mixer line2    is currently set to   0:0
  Mixer line3    is currently set to   0:0

No error messages in "/var/log/messages" after I try to record.
No error message from sox "rec", just recording noise.

  % rec foo.wav
  Send break (control-c) to end recording
  ^C
  % play foo.wav

Do you know if the "AudioPCI ES1370" support is currently broken?

If so, is there another cheap or medium cost card I can buy that has
good recordning and is supported by 4.2-STABLE? Maybe a better one
for recording than SoundBlaster 128 PCI?

kent