Date:               Mon, 20 May 1996 16:49:07 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:         DEC 2104x-based cards, PCI

At the risk of raising ire, would some/anyone correct me on the
following NICs and their caveats relative to 2.1-R.

I'm recalling this *from memory*, and it appears majordomo supports
indexing/retrieval, but not database searches, else I'd research this a
different way.  The context is for an FTP server that I'm setting up
soon (Asus motherboard, etc.): medium traffic (3-5 simultaneous sessions).

    SMC EtherPower      fine, no qualifications
    LinkSys EtherPCI    fine, some later versions may be buggy?
    AddTron AE-350 PCI  not sure, picture in catalog indistinct
    Boca BE100/10                   "

Yes, I know, very unscientific, but inquiring minds want to know.  In
particular, I'm seeing a prices of

    SMC EtherPower      140.00  (mail order)
    LinkSys EtherPCI    130.00  (   "      )
    AddTron AE-350      220.00  (   "      ), 100.00 (local, Dallas)
    Boca BE100/10                             110.00 (      "      )

All opinions welcomed.

regards,
larry

"..this really blew my mind / the fact that me / an overfed, long-haired,
 leaping gnome / would be the start of a Hollywood movie.."