Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:51:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      flaw@videotron.ca
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange DNS problems

I recently tried installing FreeBSD 4.0 on a Cyrix MediaGX. I installed
a minimal system from the net, used cvsup to grab the latest 4.0 stable
sources, sucessfully performed a make world, and then compiled a custom
kernel.  I encountered no errors, and everything seemed to work
properly, except for DNS lookups (using my ISP's DNS servers).

There are two very strange things that I encountered in this: 1) The box
was setup to perform ipnat, and the boxes behind it could perform DNS
lookups fine, and 2) I took the hard disk out of the Cyrix box and put
it in a Pentium Pro box (I booted the GENERIC kernel, and recompiled the
kernel for i686) and after doing this it perfomed DNS lookups fine again
(same exact setup except for the kernel).

The Cyrix box is a little bizarre, so at first I thought that the whole
deal might have been related to some strange incompatability between
FreeBSD and the machine itself, but recently I've seen the same problem
occur on a friend's Intel Pentium 166 (and once again I could find no
reason as to why the problem would be occuring).  My friend also
mentioned that he was having the same problem on a FreeBSD pentium
firewall that he had setup.

I've setup and administered several FreeBSD boxes in the past without
ever seeing anything like this. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone
else has seen this problem, and if so has anybody found a way to fix it.

Matthew Adie

--
--> flaw@videotron.ca
--> GnuPG Key ID: A6CD866B