Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:20:27 -0400
From:      Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
To:        Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   arpresolve question

Hello,

I am a relatively new user to FreeBSD, having only had this particular
installation for about 2 months. I am systematically picking something
that bothers me and fixing it, trying to get a system in perfect
working order (an unattainable goal I'm sure, but I can try :)).

Lately I have been noticing this particular error pop up on my
console:

thundarr /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 127.0.0.1rt

Obviously this is some sort of ethernet thing. I have two Intel
Pro/100B cards, one to the dorm network and the other to my win98
machine. I am using natd to allow both machines to access the
Internet.

Other services I am running include sshd, Samba, httpd (apache) and
for the moment SWAT. Sendmail loads up to mail stuff to root all the
time as well.

The above error does not seem to always restrict itself to network
applications. For the most part, I get them when i try to reload nmbd
after making some changes to my smbd.conf file (i reload both smbd and
nmbd). However, I tried to play 'same-gnome' to kill some time earlier
and was also seeing that error. To make sure it was not a coincidence
I killed and reloaded the game a couple of times, and other gnome
games (gnome-stones i think) and received the same error. The
irritation factor here is that whatever programs seem to generate this
error will not completely load until there is some sort of error
timeout.

Basically I would just like to understand what is going on here and
what I can do to fix it. I can provide a copy of hosts or whatever if
that would be more helpful, just mail me off the list.

Thanks,

Will Saxon