Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:56:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        den@master.chem.yale.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X, Netscape, and keyboard freeze

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>I'm experiencing a strange/frustrating and reproducible problem. :)

>Basically, whenever I use X windows (FBSD 2.2.5-Release and the X
>distribution that came with it) and I use Netscape (v. 4.05, but same
>problem with 4.04) the keyboard freezes after a while. As far as I can tell
>it becomes totally non-functional. I can't switch to any virtual terms,
>even caps lock doesn't work. It simply accepts no input. The mouse works
>fine...everything appears to work fine, except the keyboard. When I don't
>have Netscape running, this does not occur...although I haven't tried many
>other X applications. I did have xv and nedit open for a while (on a
>seperate occasion) and was typing stuff, and nothing bad happened. I'm
>using afterstep as the window manager, which is started with xdm.

>The problem is easily recreated by just holding down a key in an xterm
>window (with Netscape running)....after about four lines of text, the
>keyboard freezes.

>No errors appear to be logged (or maybe I just don't know where to look),
>and  the only way out of it is either a shutdown -r now (if I'm root, and I
>execute it via a HotList item I added in afterstep) or a hard
>reboot...which is of course Very Bad(tm).

>Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

I don't know what the root cause is, but I would recommend adding a
HotList item to shut down X; I would expect that restarting X may fix
it if it's a software problem.

The other thing it may be, of course, is a hardware problem (either
your keyboard port on the MB or your keyboard itself).  I've heard
that PS/2 keyboard ports are somewhat sensitive, so if you have one of
those, I'd consider it a candidate.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/