Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:27:39 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How the handbook was first used

When I first installed FreeBSD at home, this is how I used the handbook and
the comments that I made on the sections at the time, as I recall them.

1.1 FreeBSD in a nutshell    Didn't contain essentials but read it anyway

2 Installing FreeBSD         A lot of info to take in, but necessary

3 Unix Basics                Bitterly disappointed

4.1 Installing packages      How could this one be empty?!

4.2 The Ports collection     What of this do I need? All? They still fail.

5  Configuring the kernel    Studied right after installing, worked well!

6 Users, groups and security   Bad title (users?). Not relevant, confusing.

7 Printing                   I don't have a printer, no comment

8 Disk quotas                Not relevant.

9 The X Window System        Empty? It doesn't work AND it's not here?!

10  PC Hardware compatibility   Good to have for reference

11  Serial Communications      Confusing. I hope I don't ever need it.

12 PPP and SLIP              PPP worked. Hard to pick out relevant info.

13 Advanced networking       Ignored

14 Electronic Mail           Ignored

19 Troubleshooting          Almost doesn't exist. What a tease!

25 Bibliography             Very useful, often consulted, wish more

15-end (not 19, 25)         Ignored

NOTE: These were my impressions when first using the handbook,
not necessarily my current impressions.

If info could be added for Packages, X and Troubleshooting (if it hasn't
already) that'd make a big improvement right away.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more