Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:36:39 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fatal kernel trap

On Jun 18, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> sometimes the boot process passes this step and terminates straight
> after I choose the display settings, e.g. FreeBSD console with
> colours,
> with this message:
>

> init died (signal 0, exit 1)
> panic: Going nowhere without my init!
> cpuid = 1
> KDB: enter: panic
> [thread pid 1 tid 100001 ]
> Stopped at      kdb_enter_why+0x92:     [I2]    addl
> r14=0xffffffffffe204d8,gp
> db>

This panic is the result of sysinstall aborting due to the
existing partitioning on the disk. Because sysinstall runs
as init, if sysinstall fails you automatically have a kernel
panic. This of course is unfortunate and can be avoided by
having a proper /sbin/init.

Try the 8.0-CURRENT-200906 snapshot...

--
Marcel Moolenaar