Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:38:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Dan Lange (CS stud.)" <lange92@cns.uni.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD firewalling?

Hi,
  I've looked for information in the Handbook, but can't seem to find what
I need to know in order to complete the configuration of a freebsd
firewall. I've installed 2 ethernet cards in my computer, and by someone's
suggestion I recompiled my kernel and got freebsd to recognize it. I also
added IP_FIREWALL and IP_DIVERT while I was compiling the kernel for this
project. I've tried adding rules using ipf and ipfw, and I've played with
natd for about a week now, but still haven't figured out how to set it up.
The boxes on the private network can ping both ed0 and ed1 in the freebsd
box, but they cannot contact anything on the outside network.
  Some additional details: the private network is on the 10.0.0.x subnet,
and I'm running a 3.2-RELEASE kernel according to uname. I've edited
rc.conf; these lines refer to my firewall configuration:

firewall_enable="YES"            # Set to YES to enable firewall functionality
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall" # Which script to run to set up the firewall
firewall_type="open"         # Firewall type (see /etc/rc.firewall)
firewall_quiet="NO"             # Set to YES to suppress rule display

  All I want for now is a forwarding firewall; I'll worry about tightening
security later. What am I forgetting to set up, and how do I go about it?
Thanks for the help!

DanL

Disclaimer:  Not only do I speak for myself; I am myself.