Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:47:05 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        "Samuel J.Greear" <dragonk@evilcode.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord-430/SuperMicro P3TDE6/ServerWorks SS III HE Super LIght

Quoting "Samuel J.Greear" <dragonk@evilcode.net>:

| On Wednesday 28 November 2001 08:36 am, Edwin Culp wrote:
| > I just bought a fnord 430 with a SuperMicro P3TDE6 motherboard with the
| > ServerWorks ServerSet III HE Super Light chipset.  It has 2 - 1G PC133
| > RG DIMM C3 128X72 VR Kingston memory chips.  The problem is Signal 11
| > panics.  It seems to be memory related.  Kingston sent 2 replacement
| > chips.  I installed them and it made it noticeably worse.  With the
| > new chips I can't even get through an fsck.   With the old chips
| > I haven't been able to do a build world.  I will sometimes
| > get about halfway through.  Does anyone else seen problems with
| > a similar installation.  I have been fighting with this for about
| > four weeks now and can't make it work.
| >
| > It has two 3ware escalade controlers. I have current on one and
| > release on the other and they exhibit the same symtoms.  I even
| > took the escalade controllers out and did an installation on
| > an ide disk with no real change.
| >
| > Any ideas will sure be appreciated.  I haven't been successful at
| > rousting anyone at fnord for over two weeks.  They delivered the
| > machine almost a month late because they were having problems
| > installing freebsd, their standard installation, which makes me
| > think that they were having the same problems and rather than
| > fixing them decided to ship:-(
| >
| > Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with FNord and especially with
| > the 430? [ http://fnordsystems.com ]
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > ed
| >

| We had some problems with several ServerWorks-based boards.. (Intel)
| Symptoms were remarkably similar, seemingly random panics (sig11).
| At first we thought it was RAM, but the memory checked out good,
| then we thought it might be a heat issue, so we pulled the cover
| and got some fans blowing on it, this helped a bit.  Then we decided
| to try running a UP kernel, this helped considerably but didn't
| completely eliminate the problem.   Finally, we flashed the BIOS to
| the newest version, not a problem since.

That is what I wanted to do but can't get the floppy to boot:-(  It
works but will not boot under any circumstances.  It'll boot from
the cd, the hd and network but not the floppy.  I'm going
to have to bring it up with a windows cd, I guess, and then flash
the bios from the floppy.

thanks for your help,

ed

| Sam

| with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message

---