Date:      Wed, 20 May 2015 15:48:23 -0700
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>,  "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LogJam exploit can force TLS down to 512 bytes, does it affect us? ?

On 05/20/15 14:40, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi security@freebsd.org

Please note that security@freebsd.org = secteam@freebsd.org.  Since
this is posted to ports@ which is public, I'm assuming it's not
intended to be in private.

> (& bcc'd a couple of friends)
>
> Refa: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32814309 (posted 5 hours
> before Wed May 20 23:01:22 CEST 2015)
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/20/logjam_impact/ 20 May 2015
> at 16:29
>
> Does it affect FreeBSD ?  If so, I guess security-officer@ will
> already be drafting a notification; If not, might it be good PR
> anyway to put out a brief summary / statement on a mail list or web
> page ?

Well, currently OpenSSL do accept weak DH so _arguably_ it does affect
FreeBSD, and it's likely to break existing applications if we enforce
such restrictions (namely, Java 6).

However, system administrator should always follow best practices,
like disabling export grade ciphers, use ECDHE and generate their own
DH parameters when they implemented PFS.

Recommended for system administrators:

1. Check if any of export grade cipher is enabled (here we used port
443, https as example, and it can be used for other TLS enabled
services).  This can be checked by doing:

	openssl s_client -connect www.example.com:443 -cipher 'EXPORT'

If the connection was successful, then the server supports export
grade cipher should be disabled immediately.

2. Make sure that ECDHE is supported.

	openssl s_client -connect www.example.com:443 -cipher 'ECDH'

And the connection should succeed.

3. Make sure you are using unique DH parameters, and configure it in
the server.

To generate a 2048-bit DH parameter and save as dhparams.pem:

	openssl dhparam -out dhparams.pem 2048

The document at https://weakdh.org/sysadmin.html gives additional
information for individual daemons, including Apache (mod_ssl), nginx,
lighttpd, Tomcat, postfix, sendmail, dovecot and HAProxy.

I personally find Qualys SSL Labs' SSL/TLS Deployment Best Practices a
good reading, by the way.  It can be found at:

	https://www.ssllabs.com/projects/best-practices/

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die