Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:11:14 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWSYSLOG changes

On Thursday 20 February 2003 09:33 pm, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 11:35 PM -0500 2/20/03, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >Offshoot of the "syslog.conf syntax change" thread.
>
> Arg.  My previous message was supposed to go out with this
> new subject, instead of just repeating the subject of the
> thread "it was an offshoot of".

Pasting from that:

> What follows is part #1 of what I plan to do.  This adds the
> notion of a "default rotation action" to newsyslog.  This
> action will *only* be significant when newsyslog is run with
> a specific list of filenames.
>
> The patch picks some plausible behavior for that default action,
> but users can set a different default-action by adding a line
> to newsyslog.conf which uses <default> as the filename.  This
> should cause no change in behavior for the standard usage of
> newsyslog (ie, run without listing specific filenames).

I don't see where your patch addressed the concern Terry raised about
oversize files being rolled improperly on startup.  I.e. if newsyslog
encounters a file that it is supposed to roll at 256K and the file is
40M long, what do you do?  Possible answers include "roll only the last
256K of it" and "roll it in 256K chunks," all of which are better than
"roll the entire 40M file contents, leaving the log filesystem out of
space."

Were you going to look into that?

Wes Peters                                                  Softweyr LLC
wes@softweyr.com                                    http://softweyr.com/