Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 22:48:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        karl@mcs.com, current@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> > Hi there!
> >
> > I'd like to set up to get SUP updates of -STABLE, if there is a target for
> > it.
>
> Yes, and there is a sample sup file for getting it.  Probably the best
> way to get that is to ftp it from the -CURRENT tree (I commited it there
> and pulled it into the -STABLE branch).  Path name relative to the
> base of the -CURRENT src tree is:
> src/share/FAQ/extras/stable-supfile
>
> > Unfortunately for me, I haven't set up SUP before.  Anyone got a FAQ for me
> > on the way to get this going?
>
> /usr/share/FAQ/Text/sup.FAQ on any 2.0.5 or later system or
> src/share/FAQ/Text/sup.FAQ from a source tree.
>
> > Thanks in advance!
> Your welcome!

I guess that -STABLE isn't.

I get the same silent hang on the 1742 machine that I get on the other
releases, and we've added a panic in biodone to the mix.  The 2742 driver
problems are not addressed in -STABLE either.

-CURRENT is incompatible with anything that touches the NFS areas, unless I
want to start completely over and reload the ENTIRE system.  Since -CURRENT
is such a moving target, this isn't really a good option either, especially
when I have no idea when or if -CURRENT is stable.

So right now, we have -RELEASE which doesn't run right, -STABLE which isn't,
and a -CURRENT which kernels blow up when tickled by -RELEASE's binaries
during the startup of NFS and amd.

This is getting frustrating, and I'm running out of time and patience.
Perhaps this isn't the path we want to go down with our operating system
choice.

I'm going to give this another week of effort, and if we don't have it
stable by then I'm tossing in the towel and going to start on the evaluation
process again from scratch.  This is costing me far too much sleep.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL AP Clarinet feed!