Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:18:32 +0400
From:      Vasily <admin@arfatur.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating Kernel to newest Version

Hello Pascal,

Monday, September 23, 2002, 11:54:16 AM, you wrote:

PG> Lo ppl,

PG> i updated my WS with the binary update from the 4.6.2 iso (CD 1). It
PG> finished
PG> successfully, but my kernel remains in the old version. How do i get a
PG> kernel of the
PG> new Version? I couldn't find anything about that in the handbook.

PG> thx

I guess you should to go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
then copy GENERIC to file with YOURNAMEFORKERNEL.
To make necessary changes in YUORKERNEL. Don't forget to change ident
from GENERIC to YUORKERNEL.
Then:
# config YUORKERNEL
# cd ../../compile/YUORKERNEL
# make depend
# make
# make install

It works before. But may be there is another way, more right:
# cp GENERIC YUORKERNEL
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=YUORKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNCONF=YUORKERNEL

The first I used in FreeBSD 4.1, when I tried to do the same in 4.6.2
I received the error message. The second way in 4.6.2 was successful.

If somebody can send some comment please do it.

--
Best regards,

Vasily
admin@arfatur.ru