Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:37:51 -0500
From:      Alan Chen <alanchen@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   filesystem snapshots causes system to hang

Hello!  I am new to BSD and am asking for some help.  When I try to get
a snapshot mounted (mount -u -o snapshot /foo/bar /foo) the disk churns
for a few minutes and then stops.  After the disks stop churning, the
system hangs.  By hanging, I mean: frozen ssh sessions, frozen local
console, completely locked out, etc.  The computer does respond to a
Ping, however.

Additionally, I am using a JetStor IDE-SCSI RAID array so BSD is
detecting the array as a single SCSI device.  I'm not sure if this is
the problem, but I thought the info may be helpful!

I've tried the snapshots without the RAID device and it works fine on
regular IDE devices.

Alan