Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:19:47 +0000
From:      "Pieper, Jeffrey E" <jeffrey.e.pieper@intel.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: if_em and large mtu bug?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-net@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-net@freebsd.org] =
On Behalf Of John-Mark Gurney
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:52 PM
To: Bjoern A. Zeeb
Cc: freebsd-net@freebsd.org

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote this message on Wed, May 30, 2012 at 22:26 +0000:
> On 30. May 2012, at 11:36 , Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>=20
> > 30.05.2012 17:44, Bruce Cran ??????????:
> >> Are there any known problems with if_em and jumbo packets? I've found=
=20
> >> that my ssh connection breaks (when running dmesg etc.) if I configure=
=20
> >> the mtu to 9216 via rc.conf - but if I initially use a 1500 byte mtu a=
nd=20
> >> then manually configure it to 9216 then no problems occur.
> >>=20
>=20
> That is due to another known bug;
> if you check netstat -rn and the mtu there on your routes you'll figure.
> if you remove your addresses/routes and re-add them after changing the mt=
u,
> you'll see it as well.

Just to comment, this isn't a bug.. it's that FreeBSD allows you to
control the mtu to a host via the routing table...  Previously it would
always max out the routes MTU meaning that you could never reduce the
MTU to a problematic host, while keeping the mtu larger for others i.e.
have a mixed network w/ jumbo and normal frames...

--=20
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579

This is what I use (I'm JFV's validation engineer):

Ifconfig emX <hostname> mtu <mtusize>=20

Doing this adds it to the routing table and seems to avoid any issues.=20

I hope this helps,

Jeff