Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:52:36 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        re <re@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

On 23 Aug 2012, at 20:41, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:50:46 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
>>>=20
> * RIght now you can mirror
> svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/{stable/9,release/9.1*,etc} to your laptop,
> and Simon is setting up a US-east coast and US-west coast mirror.  You
> can easily switch your mirrors on the fly if there's a closer/faster
> one.

Real world got in the way, but they should be ready by Friday or =
Saturday, and will be documented in the Handbook.

On a side note, the svn part of one mirror had to be re-created a few =
days ago as svnsync gets very unhappy if you pull the power while it's =
running (we had a PSU die). There seem to be a fair chance your local =
repository gets corrupted enough in that case that svn just gives up. =
Not that it's a big problem, but is a bit annoying.

We (clusteradm) are working on getting an EU mirror up, but no timeframe =
yet.

> You can do your own personal svnsync all the way from rev 0, but it
> takes some time.  It's more time efficient to start with a seed and
> let it catch up.

And if people are wondering, some time is really some time. The original =
ports mirror took ~24h to create - and that was over the LAN. Don't do =
that yourself unless you feel like doing a latency test of your internet =
connection :-).

--=20
Simon L. B. Nielsen