Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:20:06 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Makefile RUN_DEPENDS=option

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:15:39 -0700 Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org> wrote

> > On 14 Nov, 2017, at 14:05, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Have a simple port that needs wget to work.
> >
> > I want RUN_DEPENDS to first check if wget is already installed, IE: is the
> > running executable in the search path whether installed as a compiled port
or
> > installed as a package and if so bypass any more wget processing. If
running
> > executable not found then to auto install using pkg version and if not
found
> > there to do port compile method.
> > How would I code that?
>
> That won't work. Ports are built in poudriere, and poudriere expects a clean
> system. If you don't depend on wget, wget will NEVER be available.
>
> Additionally, network access is explicitly disabled for everything except the
> fetch target, so you can't rely on wget doing anything.
>
> # Adam
Or:

RUN_DEPENDS=	wget>0:${PORTSDIR}/ftp/wget

If you need a specific version; say 999.

RUN_DEPENDS=	mime-support>999:${PORTSDIR}/ftp/wget

I'm not trying to argue with Adam. I am just replying based on
what I understood your question to be.
Feel free to disregard, if I've completely misunderstood. :)

--Chris